Thursday, March 17, 2016

today's garden work

Happy St Patrick's Day! It was my first day of garden work this season in my backyard garden! It was beautiful.

- Inspect beehives (more...).
- Re-install my two bird houses as they had fallen over. One is down by the pond and the other is on the new arbor by my garden gate.
- Set-up tepees for pole beans in the back corners of my garden. It will be a long time until I plant beans on these, but I wanted to get them set up.
- Label each of my garden beds with the type of plants I'll plant there this season. I have some nice big wooden plant markers for this. I usually forget what's supposed to go where and have to keep trying to find my garden map, or wing it and plant the wrong thing, so I'm feeling like labeling the beds is a big innovation for me.
- Plant lettuce and arugula seeds in free areas of my winter hoop bed.
- Clear weeds, debris and mulch from my bean/pea bed. The bed had some salt marsh hay as mulch and I put this in the paths between a couple of my raised beds. Last year I had grass between the beds, but grass is hard to maintain when shaded by plants and trampled by the gardener. I'll move to salt marsh hay mulch this year between all of the beds.
- Plant one package of Super Sugar Snap peas at the back end of the pea/bean bed.
- Cut fallen branches from the woods for pea trellis material. Put them in place over the newly planted peas.

Not to be repetitive, but what a great day!

planting peas IMG_5129 planting peas IMG_5139 planting peas IMG_5133 planting peas IMG_5137

2 comments:

wvhiker said...

Where you're done I have some work around here that needs attention :)

kathy said...

Ha! I love working and would do it as much as I can. The rest of the time I'm sitting in front of a computer screen.