Sunday, October 11, 2015

ordering garlic - where do you buy garlic?

I FINALLY remembered to order my garlic. I hope it gets here soon. I'd like to plant it at the end of this month - in 2 or 3 weeks.

My garlic crop had problems this year. More than half of it rotted in the ground. I only harvested 40 heads so I decided to eat them all and buy new (clean) stock. I usually like to save 75-100 cloves (about 15-20 of the biggest heads) for planting.

I checked a couple local sources first (Johnny's and Fedco) but seems they don't sell garlic.I had thought I might buy it at a local Farmer's Market, but didn't get to ANY this summer. (I've been swamped with my own vegetables...)

I ordered my seed garlic today from my old favorite: Territorial Seed Co. Three varieties: Duganski, Music, and Late Italian. (The first two are old favorites. I'm trying out Late Italian, a soft nect that sounds good.)

Where do you buy your seed garlic? I'd love to set up a list of sources.

17 comments:

auntie beak said...

i get my planting stock at http://thegarlicstore.com. they have a huge selection, and you can usually chose organic varieties as well.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever been to a garlic festival. There are 4 in the New England New York area. Sadly the last one is this weekend in ct.

kathy said...

I heard of garlic festivals, but have never been. I would LOVE that! Next year I will watch for them.

Thanks for the Garlic Store link

Anonymous said...

I've had good luck with seed garlic from High Mowing (Vermont). http://www.highmowingseeds.com/organic-non-gmo-garlic.html

Anonymous said...

I purchased mine this year from Adaptive Seeds. Reasoning: they had grey shallots, a good selection of garlic and free shipping if you order $50. I ordered Nootka Rose and Purple glazer. I was very pleased with the quality of all that I ordered.

kathy said...

I forgot to order shallots! The free shipping is good. I paid about $7 for shipping, but order was under $50.

Cheryl said...

Fedco does sell garlic through their bulbs division, which makes sense botanically but is a bit weird otherwise since AFAIK it's the only edible in that division. Anyway, the bulb order deadline was early September, so you can't order for this year anyway. But for future reference, they do sell it. (My garlic is a several-years descendant of a handful of Music I bought from them.)

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/bulbs.htm?listname=garlic

Anonymous said...

Got my garlic at Costco and planted some out of curiosity. Bulbs came from somewhere in California and the crop I grew was a bit smaller than the originals, but overall it turned out fine.

Anonymous said...

I shop at Filaree Garlic Farm - so many to choose from and they are in my beautiful home state - Washington.

http://www.filareefarm.com/

Anonymous said...

I second Filaree Garlic farm. Always have a good experience with them.

Anonymous said...

I use the Potato Garden for garlic and potatoes. DebS

Anonymous said...

"High Mowing Organic Seeds" sells garlic and is located nearby in Vermont.

Jack said...

I third Filaree Garlic Farm. Grew four varieties last year in Virginia and they were all fantastic!

Joe said...

I picked some up at our local farmer's market. It was cheaper than ordering it and paying for shipping, plus this way I could be sure that it was a variety that did well in our area.

Alex said...

I got mine from Territorial last year, including Duganski. It was ... OK.

I tried Green Mountain Garlic this year.

Mike the Gardener said...

I've purchased garlic from a couple of places ... Jung's seeds and local home centers ... ie Home Depot and Lowes

The garlic from Jung's did much better for me. I ordered elephant and Italian.

Anonymous said...

I get my seed garlic from Hood River Garlic. Their stock is low right now but they post everyday what they have in stock.