Monday, May 11, 2015

turning my first garden beds - finally

I would normally have done this a month ago. Not sure why I'm so late with my vegetable garden this year. I suppose its the new bees and the extra work I put into the community garden I manage. In any case, I'm not a good role model of a vegetable gardener this year. But I'm still planning to make a start at growing all of my family's vegetables for this year.

turned bed IMG_1305 On a positive note - you wouldn't believe the size of the earth worms in my beds! Gigantic.

2 comments:

Marian (LondonUK) said...

Soil looks great! We are really behind this year as well, life events have taken priority. Still seeding cucumbers, courgettes and squash this evening, shouldn't take long for them to pop up. Love worms, so does the Robin!!

Marian (LondonUK)

kathy said...

Hi Marian. Yes, my cucumbers are popping up today. They came up in a couple days I think. Squashes will come up next.

Visiting my family is one of those other things that take my priority. Today I'll visit my parents who are back up in this area after their winter in Florida. I'll be planting their garden and visiting a neighbor's garden. Maybe I'll remember to take some puctures and post them. Their neighbors garden has an abundance of asparagus I'm told. Yummy! My poor asparagus has been in the shade for 5 years. I hope it is happier now where I moved it. I have all sorts of greens and roots for my parents' garden, though I have to be careful to avoid vegetables the are bad for my dad, a kidney dialysis patient - no beets, tomatoes, dark leafy greens, shell peas, etc.