Monday, April 27, 2015

bee notes

Hive 1 (white hive): Four and a half frames are 50% built out. I found the queen. Some cells have yellow stuff (pollen) and others have clear liquid (nectar) in them. I can't see any signs of eggs and don't know what they would look like at this point. Lots of bees! The sugar water is 2 inches down.

Hive 2 (green hive): Looks about the same as the white hive. Four frames build out about 30% and then a couple more frames are build out a little bit. I found a queen that is unmarked and took a picture of her. Like the other hive I don't see eggs. Some cells have milky white maybe at the bottom, a number have pollen or nectar. Sugar water is about 2 inches down.

2 comments:

David said...

Eggs are not the easiest to see, as you most likely found out by now. But they are very small and if you are using white plastic or natural foundation then you could easily miss them. You should be able to see wet brood and even capped brood by now.

kathy said...

I am using black plastic and have finally seen them! Now I know what to look for. Best if I angle the frame just right in the sunlight.

Last check I saw all sorts of things: eggs, larvae, capped larvae both drone and workers (no queen cells). So exciting.