Friday, March 27, 2015

spring, not too far away?

I hear redwing blackbirds for the first time today. And my garden has a bunch of bluebirds in it, foraging in it since it's the only cleared area around (I also have a feeder with mealworms down there for them). It's a misty warm day after a lot of rain last night. I'm seeing rocks pop up that I had forgotten were there. It's like a new world. There's still snow all over, but it's down to maybe 6 inches. And the pond is still frozen (actually there's an ice fisherman out there now). Maybe spring is gradually approaching?

bluebird on garden fence IMG_2056ice fisherman IMG_2066

8 comments:

Lara said...

It's raining up here too! You all over there got all of our snow this winter I think. It's been a very brown winter here this time around. I'm ready for some green! If things keep up we may be planting around the same time this year--maybe. My songbirds haven't shown up as much as yours yet, but I know they're coming.

Connie Murray said...

Spring, sweet spring, hurray up already!

Matt said...

Slowly but surely spring is creeping, and I mean slowly. We had some snow yesterday, not amounting to anything, but C'mon already! Do you buy live meal worms to put in the feeder?

kathy said...

Lara, I love your blog. I just took a look and I think ended up reading the whole thing, quite a while anyway. You're a great writer.

kathy said...

No, freeze dried. I forgot to check the feeder today. Meant to do that.

Lara said...

Absolutely love your blog Kathy...have been following in for many years. Looking forward to seeing what you do this season. I was so excited when you got chickens!

Marian (LondonUK) said...

I love the photo of the very patient ice fisherman. How thick is the ice I wonder. Do people skate on there?

Marian(LondonUK)

kathy said...

I can't believe the ice fisherman was out that that day. I was keeping an eye on him in case I needed to call for someone to pull him out of the water. I'm sure the last time a fisherman, or anyone else, could go on the ice. It's melted at the edges. On my side of the pond where the sun hits, I'd need a boat to get to the ice now. He accessed from the shady side.

Don't know how thick ice is in the center though. There haven't been fishermen holes in a while. Last year it got the be over a foot thick. Surely got to be thicker this year.