Thursday, October 16, 2014

parsley pesto

I think I'll make Parsley Pesto today while it rains outside. I had a nice patch of basil, but it got the new basil downy mildew and never amounted to anything I could use for pesto. I don't know what I'll do next year for basil. Has anyone seen resistant seeds yet? Anyway, I have way too much parsley in the garden, so Parsley Pesto it is!

This recipe looks good: Parsley Pesto at Food and Wine.com. I'll just process the parsley, garlic, olive oil and salt then freeze it. Nuts and cheese can be added when we use it.

I scaled the recipe up.
10-12 cups lightly packed parsley leaves (a large bowlful)
7 cloves garlic
1 Tbs salt
2.5 cups olive oil
1 cup blanched almonds
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Puree parsley in food processor with garlic and salt adding olive oil gradually in a thin stream to the processor to keep the parsley processing. Add nuts and cheese and process to mix.

Serve over fresh pasta.

I made one batch and we ate a serving fresh off the cutting board (yummy!!!). We froze the rest in baggies. Then we made a second batch without adding garlic, nuts or cheese. Just parsley and olive oil. We could use this for anything! We'll remember to add cheese, garlic and nuts later if we use it for pesto.

parsley selfie IMG_2186
parsley row IMG_2188picked parsley IMG_2189

9 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

Last year downy mildew took down all my basil plants early. This year I planted them in two locations. One got it early. The other didn't get it until much later, so I got some good harvests. So you could try planting it in different parts of the yard.

kathy said...

Yes, I read that the best solution is an airy sunny location. I suppose I should plant some at my community plot which is more open. Thanks.

Unknown said...

I got the basil mildew very late but had not harvested in bulk before I realized that I had it. My aunt in York, PA did not get it at all, so a recent trip to visit her turn out to be a giant basil jackpot!
I have never done well with parsley. A hungry but beautiful caterpillar always eats it all up. What is your secret?

kathy said...

Yeah for the jackpot at your aunts' place! Basil is still the best, even after sampling my fresh parsley pesto.

I have no parsley secrets that I am aware of. I grow my own from seed and maybe the secret is to grow a lot so a few of those pretty caterpillars makes no difference.

Connie Murray said...

I get the big yellow caterpillars too -- they turn into gorgeous Swallowtails!

Unknown said...

Your green thumb never ceases to amaze me!

Unknown said...

Thanks Kathy and Connie, I will try a bigger area next year, enjoy the caterpillars watch for those swallowtails.

Henni said...

I've had a lot of luck growing them indoors. Can't suggest any particularly mildew resistant seeds but I recommend maybe trying to grow them on a sunny windowsill. It looks like you have some really great posts. One of my first posts on my blog was about growing basil - and I seem to have a ton of luck growing them indoors, but then again, I live in New York City and I don't have a terrace or outdoor garden. :)

kathy said...

I like that. I'll fill one of my window sills with basil.