Monday, February 17, 2014

winter

winter scene 033 winter scene 119 We have about 2 feet of snow everywhere. I have to use snow shoes to walk to the end of my backyard where I'll dig my new garden in a couple months. Skippy and Suzie sink in up to their bellies in the snow. And my poor chickens haven't been out of their coop in weeks.

But the sun is getting bright. Its noticeably higher in the sky - coming up over the tops of the tall pines by 9 am now. Our forecast is for a couple more inches of snow tomorrow and Wednesday, and then a warming trend - up into the 50's! And rain.

Yes! Spring will come. Its 30 days til spring - and counting! March 24 I planted my peas last year (I did have to pull aside the snow to get the seeds in). Its 81 days (11 weeks) til my last frost. Inside on my plant racks, my onion seeds have sprouted and the sweet potato slips are an inch tall. In two weeks, I'll do a big planting of broccoli, kale, lettuce, escarole, and eggplant seeds. Yes, spring is coming.

winter scene cutout 030

1 comment:

Marian (LondonUK) said...

It looks very pretty! The increasing light is so lovely and encouraging, buds are appearing, as you say hooray Spring is coming!