Sunday, May 26, 2013

gardening with my sister on a rainy May day

Copy of 089 Copy of 093 Copy of 091 Copy of 087 Copy of 080 Copy of 092 Copy of 083 Its been a very cool spring. And now, very wet. Don't remember when I've waited so long to set out tomatoes.

Anyway, yesterday my sister and I planted tomato seedlings in my community plot. These are a set of six different varieties of late blight resistant tomatoes: Defiant, Ferline, Mountain Magic, Old Brookes, Prudens Purple and Plum Regal. We had 500 of these seedlings, that are reported to have different degrees of late blight resistance, grown for our community garden by a local grower. We are looking forward to seeing how they do.

9 comments:

Dewberry / Amanita said...

I like your garden, it looks so neat and organized :)

Anonymous said...

Love your blog, would not miss it. Skippy is the best. What I would appreciate even more is a little more detail on the exact "nuts & bolts" of your approaches to the mechanics of gardening. For example, what materials do you use for beds, supports, etc. Call me a detail freak, but sometimes I look at your great photos and wonder just what are the dimensions of that bed? The type of wood and its dimensions. Etc. And, whenever possible, your rationale for choosing among so many alternatives. Please keep the new posts coming, and thank you so much for making life as a gardener a bit more fun!

Heather said...

Your community garden plot is gorgeous! I'm interested to see how the tomatoes resist the blight. Mine get blighted to one degree or another every year.

Heather said...

Your community garden plot is gorgeous! I'm interested to see how the tomatoes resist the blight. Mine get blighted to one degree or another every year.

Mike the Gardener said...

What an awesome garden layout! Looks like a lot of care and planning went into it. Great job!

blueberry1946 said...

I held off and planted on Monday, Memorial Day, and I am not sure I should not have waited one more week. I had actually brought my flower pots inside for Saturday night; it felt that cold in Princeton. I did enjoy a morning coffee in my new living room garden though!

Cary said...

Our official last frost date is May 8 and folks here say best to wait to Mem Day. I waited and have been hardening off. Last night was 38! Eek. Nice looking plot Kathy.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Always amazed at how much you get into those beds.

Sara said...

What a great garden and blog post! I'm just learning how to garden so this is definitely inspiring to see.