Monday, March 18, 2013

birds

Copy of 014 Copy of 022 Copy of 020 Copy of 025 Copy of 006 Copy of 008 Copy of 028 I have been bringing my zoom lens on your walks and trying to photograph the birds I see. Some summer birds are gradually starting to arrive, like red wing black birds. I think all of the birds here are winter birds, robin, chickadee, tufted titmouse, starling. I wasn't sure what the bird next to the titmouse it. It was near the titmouse, but not behaving like a titmouse as it was up at the top of the tree singing "sprrriinng", "sprrriinng". I suppse the photo looks like a titmouse, so maybe this is male spring behavior.

And then there is the very blurry photo of the big black bird. It was an enormous bird - bigger than a red tailed hawk. It appeared completely black in the bright light, but I think the photo shows a bit of mottling. My camera battery died and I only got one shot. I am thinking maybe an immature bald eagle! He took off to the north.

I am going to bring my camera again today, with a full battery, and see if I can add more bird photos.

We are expecting another big snow storm today. If this weather keeps up, I may never be able to garden......

5 comments:

Dewberry / Amanita said...

Lovely birds! I especially like the one in the first photo :)

Lara said...

Take heart--spring is right around the corner! Thanks for sharing the winter birds...have missed them—I’m probably appreciating some of your hummingbirds right now though.

Dan said...

That black bird is likely a Black Vulture. They are somewhat uncommon in this area but I have been hearing of a few sightings on the Niagara river lately.

kathy said...

Dan, Interesting. I've never heard of a black vulture. I looked this up and see they hold their wings flat like an eagle, not V like a turkey vulture. They also have a big beak, bigger than a hawk. I did see a turkey vulture in our area yesterday. I think lots of interesting bird are starting to migrate through now - even with all the snow cover.

Marian (LondonUK) said...

Great bird pictures Kathy. Our regular garden visitors are busily eating from the bird table and feeders in our garden today, it is so cold and windy. They are also taking away bits of twig and dried leaves to bolster up their nests ready for spring hatchings.
Marian (LondonUK)