Sunday, November 04, 2012

to the start of another week - cheers!

carrot martinis 037
Today I pulled the carrots I sowed in August. Pretty baby carrots. Somehow a rabbit seems to have found his way into the garden and ate off most of the carrot greens. I am fascinated that he only ate the carrots. Next year I am planning a chicken wire tunnel over the carrots.

I ended up harvesting about a dozen heads of lettuce today as there may be a hard frost tonight. Some lettuce plants I dug and moved into my cold frame to see how they do there over the winter. I also harvested leeks, walking onions, Savoy cabbage, bok choi, baby beets and baby carrots.

To end the day, we tried a new combination of veggies in a martini: baby carrots, walking onions and an olive. I highly recommend it!

baby carrots 012

4 comments:

Marian(LondonUK) said...

Well, what can I say, a relaxing drink combined with some of your 5-a-day veggies. Perfect.
Marian (LondonUK)

Diane C said...

What a great way to use up some of the smaller veggies. Looks fantastic!

pam_chesbay said...

Your martinis should win an award for creativity. One of my favs was the Watermelon radish martini. I'm growing Watermelon radishes this fall - thank you!

Yams said...

Your carrots look very health and the martini part is kind of funny. I could try it out sometime lol!
It is good to know that you got such a nice harvest. Most people with kitchen gardens look forward to such a harvest but most do not achieve such results.
Congratulations on the good harvest and I hope you will be able to keep off the rabbits next time.