Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January snow drops

winter sprouts 015
winter sprouts 018 winter sprouts 016

I was surprised to look down in my front yard and see flowers about to bloom. ITS STILL JANUARY!! OK, only a few hours left to the month, but still, I don't remember a winter like this. I'm certainly not complaining. Tomorrow is supposed to be particularly balmy (50's) and Skippy and I are planning a nice lunchtime walk. I have not had to shovel any snow this year. (Yippee) Its tempting to think, what's happening to the climate - but then, the average of this year and last year would be a normal winter. So who knows.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, even flowers are not sure what to do I guess. They look lovely and I do enjoy the sunny days too but I have to admit "I am afraid of what is to come"
I think we will get really bad March and cloudy summer if it goes like this.
Enjoy your walk :]
Huli

Steve Lau said...

I think having a colder March than February is very rare because this is around the time when it should be warming up. I only see it getting warmer from here on out because we are already past the dead of winter.

Bulb plants are usually pretty hardy too.

Dr. Rebecca Knight said...

I planted 300 bulbs last fall and many are up at least 2-3 cm. I'm new to this and it's totally freaked me out! Will a futre cold snap kill them or will they just keep halting and resuming?

kathy said...

A Feb or March cold snap (as unlikely as it seems...) could damage the tops of the leaves a bit, but the flowers are still protected underground. The leaves are very hardy and the bulbs know how to deal with different types of winters. Some snow would be best for them. But I would just marvel at the signs of spring and the thought that spring flowers are on their way.... 300 spring flowers will be beautiful!

Dr. Rebecca Knight said...

Thanks for your reply. I've been worried and that's very reassuring. At least I know they have a chance! I know I can hardly wait for the flowers.