Thursday, April 28, 2011

photos of switzerland

basel farmers market 142
basel farmers market 145
basel farmers market 143
basel farmers market 137 basel farmers market 141
basel farmers market 140 basel farmers market 139
basel farmers market 146
basel farmers market 138

I'm just back from a vacation in Switzerland and have photos of vegetable gardens and the Saturday morning Farmer's Market. Photos of the Farmer's Market in Basel Switzerland are here. Basel is located in the northwest corner of Switzerland, along the French and German borders. There was an amazing variety of local produce. Truly amazing. We filled our bags with food to make a delicious Easter dinner.

Though Basel is at a more Northern latitude than us here in Boston, the weather is much warmer. The lilacs were in full bloom there, and these have not even leafed out here in Belmont yet. Our Belmont Farmer's market won't open until June 9! But in Basel, the market had lots of new potatoes, new garlic, fava beans, white and green asparagus, broccoli, lots of greens and herbs, etc, etc.

I haven't ever seen baby garlic at a market. We bought some and it was great. The wrappers hadn't begun to dry at all and the cloves were quite small still. We could just slice and eat the whole head without peeling the cloves.

The potatoes on the stands were mostly a little white variety with buttery flesh. Very good!

6 comments:

Mark Willis said...

One of my daughters lives in Ferney Voltaire, France, just across the border from Geneva. When I saw your photos I thought at first that they were of the market in Ferney, which is obviously very similar to the one you visited. A Foodie's paradise, no less.

Green Zebra Market Garden said...

That's interesting about the baby garlic. I'll have to try it this year!

Vanessa said...

Wow that market looked great, I loved the wrinkly tomatoes. In Cincinnati we have farmers markets, many of which have only recently started, but we don't have as much of a selection from vendors like the cheese as this market did. I am very jealous of your experience!

Sara Caldwell said...

Jackpot! I am going to switzerland in August and could use some tips! We are looking for foodie things to do, any tips?! PS I'm new to gardening and just LOVE your blog!

Vitamin G: Your Recommended Dose of Garden Shenanigans said...

Oh, my. The photo of the cheese made my mouth water.

Unknown said...

Look at all that CHEESE!! I've never been to Switzerland but I would love to go.