Sunday, August 15, 2010

tomatoes on the window sill

tomatoes on the window sill

A sure way to tell its August! Tomatoes on the window sill.

I'm gradually getting tomatoes from my shady garden. About one every other day. I beat the squirrels by picking them as they start to turn color and letting them fully ripen inside.

I prefer to do this anyway, even without squirrel competition. Doesn't seem right to have ripe tomatoes hanging on the vines. It risks them getting overripe without me noticing and lets the vine put energy into the rest of the fruits.

When I went up to my parent's last week, my Mom gave me her extras. Her garden is producing tons. I ended up with a nice batch of tomato sauce. I was going to freeze it, but we ate it all that night.

9 comments:

meemsnyc said...

I like to have the tomatoes ripen on the sill also. Here's ours. http://nycgardening.blogspot.com/2010/08/wordless-wednesday-need-more-windowsill.html

Wendy said...

hello - this is a beautiful sight! I also pick mine and let them fully ripen inside. It keeps the raccoons from getting them before I do!

Liz said...

Hi,

Welldone on the Tomatoes, so far I've eaten one from my crop - by accident as I broke it off the vine... Whoops.

More on their way and by the looks of things they will all come at the same time!

Marian(LondonUK) said...

Lovely Beefy Toms. Mine have some fruits and others setting. We just need some sunshine. We seem to have gone from blazing heat to cooler, windy Autumn-like days this week. I was hoping for a bumper crop this year. I made loads of your red sauce last season but may not have many to do that with sadly. Never mind, there is next season!
Marian (LondonUK)

Matron said...

It is just such a long Winter when you have to rely on horrible supermarket tomatoes. At last we have home grown tomatoes. Yours look wonderful! Enjoy them, the season is all too short!

Cloud said...

Love the tomatoes! This is my first year gardening and I must admit to spending the past couple days reading ALL of your posts from the very beginning.... Great material for a fellow MA gardener! It has even inspired me to start my own blog to document my garden victories and failures. Keep up the great posts!

Diane said...

There is nothing more satisfying than growing and eating your own tomotoes. I love watching them change from green to red.

kathy said...

Wow cloud, that's impressive. I hope you read a few comments too. They are usually the best part of my blog. Good luck with your garden!

Texas Gardener said...

I'm impatient so rather then waiting I put my tomatoes in a paper bag for them to ripen.