Friday, January 15, 2010

florida fruits

grapefruits 2

It is so wonderful to get fresh Florida fruits from the backyard (and front yard) trees.

About 30 years ago, my sister planted a seed from a grapefruit and now there is an enormous tree in my parents backyard. The tree is COVERED!! this year with so many fruits hanging low and pulling the branches to the ground. And then my grandmother started a couple avocados from seed and they too are 40 foot tall trees with many fruits now.

My parents neighbors to the right have a lemon tree (with orange lemons) and it is always so heavy with fruit that he says - please come and pick them whenever you want. The neighbors to the left say the same about their two papaya trees. Two yards down, we admire the mango tree. Maybe someday I'll move down here to paradise.

I do think the taste is special when produce is homegrown, picked and eaten within a couple hours. And free gifts of the land.

lemons 1

10 comments:

Carolyn said...

What a blessing. I live in Ohio and we are blessed with peaches, apples, grapes, chestnuts and others. The juice from a fresh, warmed by the sun peach runs down your arm and is the sweetest thing. I can only imagine how amazing truly fresh citrus or an avocado would taste. YUM!

Rachel (Hounds in the Kitchen) said...

Last year we visited a Florida citrus grove from our home in Ohio. It was my first experience of fresh citrus and I was fascinated! Florida is a little like paradise sometimes...other than the hurricanes...

Daphne Gould said...

I can just taste the fresh juice every morning. The tropical fruits are the one thing I miss up north.

kibbles said...

Wow! I've visited Florida so many times but have never seen fruit trees like that (damn condominium communities).
I wonder how far north trees can grow like that? It will definitely factor into where I move when I am looking for a job, especially avocado trees.
ps. Love your blog!!

Kalena Michele said...

OMG look at all those grapefruits!!

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Stunning, how lovely with all that fruit!

Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering looking at these fresh fruit trees!!! I would love to have a lawn full of fruiting trees! They look so inviting!
~Felicia~

Heather's Garden said...

I know, isn't it fabulous! We were on Marco Island over Thanksgiving (and will be returning in 28 days barring any complications) and my mom lives in Estero. She has avocados and grapefruits and grabbed meyers lemons from a friend's yard. We drove home with a box full of free fresh produce that we shared with friends.

kathy said...

My avocado I brought home is now ripe and I'm ready to make a big batch of guacamole tomorrow! Ahhh.

Lisa said...

I love reading back through gardening blogs when I'm sick. These photos are so cheerful.