Friday, July 24, 2009

weather complaints - a VERY wet and cool first month of summer in Boston

full rain guage Boston rainfall for first month of summer
Boston's recent climate data
naked girls plow fields for rain

Yes, I'm complaining again about the weather. Here in Boston, we only survive the winters because we dream about the beautiful summers we know will come. July 24 and we're still waiting....

Twenty of the first 31 days of summer have been rainy. I've only watered my garden once so far. My rain gauge is almost always full. And our temperatures have rarely exceeded the normal summer average. Daily departures for the month have totaled 97 degrees F below normal. The clouds hover and there's no sun to dry up the mud.

Too bad we can't send our rain to Arizona or India. Would that we could.... They are plowing the fields naked and we are bundled up in winter coats and umbrellas....

Please add your weather complaints here. Misery loves company.....

8 comments:

alice said...

As I am reading this...NPR is commenting on this exact story (Naked gardening for rain!). Sounds like you otta be layering on the winter coats. Enjoy the great outdoors.

Tara. G said...

Hiya from India!!

We haven't heard of the naked girls ploughing fields.. but there sure are a lot of people dying for want of rain.. literally dying. It's the worst drought-like situation ever.

We had real rain .. no drizzles for the first time yesterday in a month. That's not good considering where I am.. in North India... we produce the main crops for 50-60 % of the country.

Global warming, is all I can say. :(

Seriously, enjoy the lovely cold. God knows we wait for it for 10-11 months in a year.

kathy said...

Thank you Tara!

Nothing like a good kick in the butt to remind me ENJOY and count my blessings.

Good luck with your weather.

Susan said...

I'm in NJ and when we finally get a day or two with sun my garden comes alive. Then the rain comes and slows things down again. It's a hurry up and wait wait wait year!

Keep up with your posts, I'm enjoying them!

Anonymous said...

What about the slugs? They are devouring petunias and hostas here - seems these are their favorite. Here is one possible high note - maybe all this rain will create the greatest ever foliage for the fall?

Dawnie (CT) said...

Kathy, I think these weather patterns are here to stay, here in the NE. Last year, being my first time growing a veggie garden, it was almost the same. This year was worse....and I can only see it (the weather patterns), going down hill from here.

All I can say is, we humans have screwed this planet up SO BADLY.....we all deserve what we get! Time for Mother Nature to purge the planet. I, for one, think H1N1 will be a blessing in disguise (I know that I will NOT survive H1N1 if I get it). In my humble opinion....I think that HALF of the Worlds population needs to GO! The Planet is unsustainable otherwise. Here's to hoping that the humans who DO survive will finally wake up and treat this planet with more RESPECT!!

Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

I'm sick of it too... but I know that drought is much worse and I keep trying to remind myself of that. I'm with you... our winters are so long that the only way I survive them is by dreaming of summer. All this rain has affected my tomatoes - thankfully no blight so I really shouldn't complain - but they just aren't turning red. Last year by now I at least was harvesting them. -Jackie

Svetla said...

Think positive! I haven't used the air-conditioner yet! My cucumbers love the rain, and I am making big plans for fall broccoli and winter radish.