Thursday, October 23, 2008

gathering leaves

a barrow full of leaves

Spades take up leaves
No better than spoons,
And bags full of leaves
Are light as balloons.

I make a great noise
Of rustling all day
Like rabbit and deer
Running away.

But the mountains I raise
Elude my embrace,
Flowing over my arms
And into my face.

I may load and unload
Again and again
Till I fill the whole shed,
And what have I then?

Next to nothing for weight,
And since they grew duller
From contact with earth,
Next to nothing for color.

Next to nothing for use.
But a crop is a crop,
And who's to say where
The harvest shall stop?

Robert Frost 1923

...my little garden gnome is hard at work harvesting leaves.

2 comments:

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

How cute I didn't know that you had two garden buddies. Have a great weekend and do save some leaves for the worms! hihi/ Tyra

kathy said...

Yes, I'm lucky to have Skippy and my gnome - and even some more gardening buddies. Some buddies do more work, some do less but no matter - nothin' like a buddy!