Tuesday, October 14, 2008

evening field

sunset over freshly mowed field

Here's the field next to my community plot. I thought it looked beautiful in the setting sunlight tonight. The field was mowed yesterday and the gardens have that rich smell of freshly mowed hay.

October 15: I thought I'd add the images below.

field original field with only shadows adjusted

The original (unadjusted) image is on the left. The one on the right has only shadows and exposure adjusted. Neither of these look like the scene as I remembered it, so I made more adjustments. Here's how I remember the scene:

sunset over mowed field - interpretation

But then my eyes aren't so good and maybe it wasn't quite so colorful, so the top photo is my compromise.

Note added Oct 28: Can you believe it - there's a Port-O-Potty in the middle of this lovely field today! Actually that's great. The Friends of Rock Meadow is having a two weekend volunteer clean-up event. I hope to be able to help out next Sat. (Don't really want to us the seat in the middle of the field though....)

9 comments:

Maggie said...

Wow! That's gorgeous. I want that! :)

kathy said...

I always have a hard time leaving my beautiful garden. Tonight Skippy and I wanted to go for a walk in the fields, but it was too late....

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Very beautiful Kathy it looks lke frost on the ground but it isn't is it?

Anonymous said...

This is so gorgeous! The colors almost look digitally altered.

Andrea said...

A beautiful photo!! I'd love to have seen that in person.

kathy said...

It did look like frost to me too, but it was just the glow of sunlight on the mowed grass. It was a warm day.

I did alter the photo. I'll add the original and some other interpretations to the post. A photo never looks the way I saw the seen and I often try to reproduce how I saw it. When I saw this seen, there was a lot of golden glow on the skyline, the "frosty grass" and the maroon and yellow speckled leaves in front. I tried to reproduce that.

Joe said...

Those are just beautiful pictures...the last one looks like a painting!

Lisa said...

I love this post-- it's always so hard to reproduce the image that we see, even though our cameras think they know best.
Lisa

kathy said...

Yes - what we see is often not what the camera captures.

I still think the scene I remember was a gold glow in the center of the photo. Maybe someday I'll get better with photoshop to reproduce this.

As bad as my eyes are, they are sometimes much better than my camera.