Monday, August 25, 2008

big fat Oxheart carrots

carrots 3
carrots 1 carrots 5

I pulled the last of my spring crop of carrots. These are the big guys - Oxheart. They are very tasty. Round and fat like and orange. They make a very nice "chip" when sliced horizontally. I still have a big bagful of early carrots (Mokum), a more traditionally shaped and sweeter variety, in my fridge. I took out the bagful for a photo next to the newly pulled Oxhearts.

I planted a few more rows of carrots seeds for a fall crop a couple of weeks ago. They sprouted nicely, but I'm afraid I buried most of them while digging the potatoes. Oh well....

Daucus carota

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen carrots like these before. They're so cute! They look almost like balls.

Anonymous said...

How deep do the oxhearts go? I did purple-haze and little finger for my fall crop, but I've never tried oxhearts...

kathy said...

My biggest Oxhearts are about 4 inches deep and 3 inches diameter, weight about 5 oz. Seems pretty big to me though they are reported to grow to 1 lb!

My 7 inch deep Mokum's only weigh a couple oz.