Thursday, May 29, 2008

fava blossoms

fava flowers 2
fava flowers 1 favas
Last year I planted fava beans (broad beans) for the first time. I was served delicious grilled fava beans at the East Coast Grill and was determined to grow some myself! I planted them in my shady home garden. But they were totally eaten by black aphids before the beans formed. This year, I planted them at my community plot which has incredibly full sunlight. NO APHIDS YET!!! The plants are blooming and I'm keeping my fingers crossed....

Vicia faba

5 comments:

Tina said...

Wow, they are beautiful. I only know them in red.

kathy said...

I never heard of red flowered fava beans but had fun looking these up.
Here's a great post on them: red flowered broad beans at Daughter of the Soil

Anonymous said...

What beautiful blooms!

kathy said...

I'm now starting to see a few black aphids and ants on the plants. But the plants look very healthy and beans are forming under the blossoms. Also, I see lady bugs around.

The aphids are a bad pest for the favas and last year destroyed my plants that were growing in too much shade. The ants are there because they eat a sugary substance the aphids secrete and they actually protect the aphids. Lady bugs, however, are an aphid predator and control the population. They are good news.

I have high hopes still for this crop. I'll get my fava recipe ready!

kathy said...

Here's a cool site about ladybugs. One ladybug can eat as many as 50 aphids a day!