Thursday, January 10, 2008

seed order

Last year I thought the 25 packs I ordered was too many. This year my list has 39 varieties. I am very excited about growing sweet peppers, lots of fresh green soy beans, many different colors of tomatoes, early carrots, and sweet white onions.

Sand Hill Preservation Center
Beets: Chioggia, Lutz, Ruby Queen
Carrots: Coreless Amsterdam, Oxheart
Parsnips: Cobham Improved Marrow
Kale: Tuscan, Red Russian Kale
Onions: White Portugal, Yellow Sweet Spanish
Peppers: Sweet Chocolate
Tomatoes: San Marzano, Giant Belgium, Purple Calabash, Cherokee Purple
Chickens: three buff Orpington female hatchlings (not)

Johnny’s Selected Seeds

Beans: Isar, Tongue Of Fire, Flagrano
Soy beans: Envy, Butterbeans
Fava beans: Windsor
Carrots: Mokum
Cucumbers: Rocky
Kale: Winterbor
Lettuce: Royal Oak, Cherokee
Pepper: Carmen
Pumpkin: Big Rock
Radish: Cherriette
Summer squash: Zephyr, Starship
Tomatoes: Brandywine, New Girl, Pink Beauty, Big Beef, Orange Blossom
Snap peas: Sugar Sprint
Sunflowers: Ikarus, Lyng’s California Greystripe, Big Smile
Inoculants: Garden Combo (garden peas & beans), Soybean Inoculant, Pea Inoculant (for garden peas, field peas and fava beans)

I may also order a few heirloom potatoes from Ronniger Potato Farm. Their prices and selection seem good.

(About those chickens: just wishing. No one ships less than 25 chicks, and Sandhill doesn't sex the chicks, so I won't be able to order from them. And I want to get a permit, a brooder box and a coop set up before I order. A lot of work yet to do.)

S&P

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you buy your onions in seeds or sets? Our past two years using sets have been awful, but we've read that seeds don't produce as big of an onion.

kathy said...

I'm going to try seeds this year. Its a new crop for me, so I can't give any advice yet.

Matron said...

I am familiar with most of the hundreds of varieties of produce available here in the UK, but only recognise a couple of the names you mention. Plant breeding must be a complicated subject with many, many different 'bloodlines'.

kathy said...

There are over 4000 varieties of tomatoes alone! Many (most?) of the varieties I picked out here are heirlooms. Some are ones that I grow regularly, that well in our soil and weather. Others are recommended by the catalogs or are just a variety I want to try out.

Urban Agrarian said...

I love your gardening blog.

Yeah! Another possible chicken owner in our town! Orpingtons are very sweet. I had a white one for years who was the calmest and sweetest in my flock. I hope to order 2 Cochins this year. I also know of two other people who want to order chicks in town. Perhaps we can all order as a group to make the min. order.

Also, dog crates make easy brooders. Maybe your pup will loan you his.

kathy said...

HI neighbor! I'd love to go in on the chicken order, probably. Also, I have many questions about chickens. Is there a Chicken Club meeting ever??? ;)

The Forge Village Farmer said...

I've used Ronniger's several times, and they've never dissapointed me. The fingerlings, especially.

kathy said...

Thanks for the good word on Ronniger's. I think I probably will order some seed potatoes from them, though I haven't gotten to it yet.

Mellen said...

I see that you are interested in chicks. I have raised them for a number of years and have enjoyed it. I have always purchased mine from Welp Hatchery in Iowa. They ship all over the country and the world. You can also purchase the chicks as either the females/pulles or the males/cockerals separately. Their website is www.welphatchery.com. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Mellen

kathy said...

Thanks for the chick info.

Anonymous said...

I don't know your real name and don't exactly want to reveal mine either on the internet, but I know someone in our town who had extra 4 week old chicks he's trying to get rid of and wonder if you are interested. My first name is Joan. Gretta (and many other who hear the words Joan and chickens together) can give you my last name and email if you want to get in touch. I live near the Middle School. I am also "urban agrarian" in the above comment.