Thursday, December 13, 2007

planning for next year

plan 10001
Since we are snowed-in tonight, I am starting to plan my garden for next year. This is a list of what I planted from seed this year and how it did. Also, whether I would like to plant the crop again next year and in which garden.

I also was very lucky to hear from Gretta Anderson, the farmer at our local CSA, of her favorite varieties this year. (Thanks!)

These are Gretta's favorites:
lettuce - summer crisp/batavian is the only thing that grows in the heat of summer, tastes great too.
lettuce -Crispino (Fedco I think), excellent tasting iceberg. Really not for production farming in the NE; needs steady water, long time to harvest .... but gets nice and big and is very tasty!
lettuce - Boston "Ermosa" from Johnny's does well all season
beets - chiogga and golden varieties nice for home garden variety (golden just doesn't germinate well)tomatoes -Ox heart is excellent paste tomato
Purple calabash - 'great taste'
Pink Beauty - excellent, tastes like an heirloom, super productive
White cherry (Fedco?) - I'm not sure if this is the name of the variety or the color of the cherry tom. Folks who grow it say it's better than sungold variety. (how can anything be better than sungold?)
eggplant - Fairy Tale - excellent taste, no bitterness. slow to harvest, which makes it not so good for a market garden, but fine for a home garden
cucumbers - sweet success "quality is awesome"

I'm looking forward to trying as many of these varieties as I can find space for.

The next thing I'll do is put together plot plans for both gardens. Then the seed orders.

S&P

3 comments:

Rusty in Miami said...

Congratulations it looks like you had a very successful year. Than is what I call a serious planning. We are in mist of our vegetable season; the tomatoes are growing well, unfortunate I don’t have much space to grow anything else

OldRoses said...

I've been keeping spreadsheets on my gardens for several years now. I have accumulated so much information that I am teaching myself about databases now.

kathy said...

My dad keeps lots of spreadsheets too. When he plants and what the weather is doing. I don't keep many records. Just this blog.